Medium-sized mushroom. Cap with reddish scales that spread concentrically as the cap expands. Stalk with reddish scales below the barest remnants of a ring. Gills white, not attached to stalk.
On ground in woods.
The reddish scales on cap and stalk are fairly distinctive.
This mushroom produces amatoxins, chemicals deadly to cells that need to make a lot of protein, like liver cells. If the mushroom is eaten, the eater usually feels fine for a day and then feels ill as the intestines are damaged. Then they feel better for about a day. The the liver fails and they die without a liver transplant.